This past weekend was a milestone in Airbnb history; our first official community-organized meetup took place in NYC! With the heroic efforts of our SuperHost Annie, generosity of Lisel and her Brooklyn brownstone, and enthusiasm of our NYC community, last Sunday’s soiree turned into an exemplary display of how to throw an Airbnb meetup.
- Declare your interest in organizing a meetup- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line, “I want to throw a meetup!”
- Propose a purpose- Who is this meetup for (hosts, guests, everyone)? Why do you want to get this group together (discuss how to be a better host, casually meet over drinks, explain to new members what it’s like)?
- Set a date and time- During the day? On the weekend?
- Find a location- Search through your city to find an Airbnb location you’d like to throw the event at and we’ll put you in touch (hint: search for amenity “Suitable for Events”).
Preparing for the event-
- Feed your guests- Will there be alcohol? Will catering be necessary? Or, is it a chance for Airbnb-ers to show off their cooking genius with a potluck dinner?
- Prepare your guests- Are there any special directions or notes to send to the guests prior to the day of the meetup? Provide us info and we’ll get it to the right people.
- Inform your guests- Want to print handouts? Name tags? We have some suggestions but tell us what you envision your Airbnb meetup to look like.
At the event-
- Snap some pictures- Let’s document and share your experiences with the global Airbnb community.
- Gather feedback- We want to know how to improve Airbnb for everyone, from the streets of NYC to the hills of Morocco, and unfortunately we can’t be in thousands of places at once.
- Have fun- You’ll be amazed at the number of different and amazing people who live right in your backyard!